Technology is making everything convenient for man. It is slowly allowing us to multitask and take advantage of available time. It can be your tool to make sure you get all those things that need to be done in a short span of time.
Cordless phones are one of those technologies designed to you more effective. It can allow you to talk to someone while working on your laptop. Moms can prepare dinner without sacrificing the time needed to produce a delicious meal and bond with their friends.
However, there are some who raise concerns over health hazards associated with cordless phones. Their particular issue is that devices that use wireless technology expose man to more electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation than their body can handle.
This article will look into whether cordless phones can be a source of EMF and other forms of radiation. It will also highlight health issues that come with EMF exposure and how to reduce the amount of EMF in your home.
This Article Contains
How Do Cordless Phones Work?
Cordless phones are able to function using radio waves it transmits for you to talk to and hear the party on the other side of the line. In short, it is really just a radio transmitter and receiver that works only on a specific frequency.
The cordless phone, however, has some limitations. Unlike a mobile phone, the cordless can mostly be used within a given range from its base. A usual modern cordless phone can cover a room or two in your home, depending on the technology used. There are two types of cordless phones found in the market. The analog cordless phone can make and receive transmits radio waves. Its base, connected to the wall socket, sends out radio signals. It is then received by the cordless phone receiver, which it converts back to an electrical signal. The last process is how we can hear another party talking on the other line.
However, it is still as powerful in terms of emitting EMF and other forms of radiation. Cordless phones make use of radio signals to work. Given that, there is a higher chance that it emits electromagnetic field radiation. Also, it is expected to have a higher chance of producing EMF and radio wave radiation compared to corded phones.
Is Using Cordless Phone Really That Dangerous?
Veteran researcher Dr. Magda Havas conducted a study that found a direct correlation between the use of digitally enhanced cordless technology (DECT) or cordless phones and the development of some serious diseases. Dr. Havas further revealed how electromagnetic field radiation is emitted by the use of cordless phones impact.
According to the study, children’s memory and retention are significantly affected if they are exposed within 2.8 meters. In adults, there are several studies that identify how people who are always in close proximity to a cordless phone have a greater chance of developing conditions that include leukemia.
According to a 2013 study led by Lennart Hardell, using mobile phones and cordless phones significantly increases the risk of developing gliomas and acoustic neuromas. The authors based their conclusion on the findings of two study centers.
The two study centers were looking for a link between the use of mobile phones and cordless phones and the development of meningioma. It instead found a direct correlation between the use of such technologies and the development of gliomas and acoustic neuromas.
The study authors concluded that this study further proved that radio frequency and electromagnetic field radiation are bioactive and capable of causing damage to your health.
The base and receiver of a cordless phone set are designed to broadcast radio frequencies, so these cordless phones can still be used regardless of your location at home. Given that cordless phones make use of radio waves, it is one of the household appliances that emit this pollution. Thus, the cordless phone’s impact on your health.
Dangers of EMF Exposure
Electromagnetic field radiation does have the ability to impact your health. It was found that exposure to EMF can cause fatigue, variability in heart rate, high blood pressure, and changes in sleeping patterns and quality. Additionally, numerous studies have discovered how it contributes to the development of several health issues. The following are some of them:
- Cancer – Studies are being carried out looking deeper into the role it plays in the development of various types of cancer. There have been several tries to investigate its impact that led to brain cancer and lymphoma among other cancers. However, there is yet concrete evidence pointing to EMF as a possible or one of the contributing factors that gave way to the growth of cancer cells.
- Pregnancy – A study found that women who got pregnant while working in electronics assembly plants and were subjected to prolonged EMF and other forms of radiation gave birth to babies with low birth weight while some suffered from pre-term deliveries.
- Oxidative stress – This study focused on how the prevalence of electromagnetic field radiation causes oxidative stress among humans. The study focused on the reproductive ability of both men and women. It found that those who were exposed to EMF and other forms of radiation for a long period of time tend to experience issues in their reproductive capacity.
- Male fertility – A 2018 study found that sperm number and quality were significantly affected by electromagnetic fields and radio frequency radiation. The study focused on non-ionizing radiation coming from appliances like microwave ovens and cellular phones. It measured the impact of EMF and radio frequency on sperm quality. These radiations were the stem of oxidative stress and later on contributed to this fertility issue.
- Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Syndrome (EHS) – this condition is mostly seen among people who were constantly exposed to EMF. It can be comparable to multiple chemical sensitivities and presents itself in various non-specific symptoms. The most common symptoms associated with the condition include burning sensations, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and heart palpitation. The International Program on Chemical Safety coined the term Idiopathic Environmental Intolerance (IEI) as a more general term to refer to sensitivities caused by environmental factors including EHS.
Ways to Prevent Long-Term Exposure to EMF
The cordless phone is useful equipment. It is especially if you are trying to multi-task and have a very short period of time. But it does come with its own downsides, too. This technology is capable of emitting radiation that could impact your health in the long run.
However, there are some ways to guard yourself and your loved ones from the unwanted impact of prolonged exposure to electromagnetic and radio frequency waves. The following are some of the most recommended ways to prevent the impact of EMF:
- Use Corded Phones – cordless phones might be more modern and allows for greater flexibility when multi-tasking. However, the price you need to pay to be mobile is not worth it when knowing what long-term exposure to EMF can cause.
- Use the Speakerphone When Multi-tasking – home phones nowadays also come with a speakerphone built-in. This feature is integrated for families to hear a call from a loved one together. However, it could also be helpful for people who like to keep doing what they are doing while on a call. The use of a speakerphone emits much less radiation compared to having a cordless phone pressed against your ear.
- Install Devices that Reduces EMF – cordless phones are not the only source of EMF in your home. There are a dozen common household appliances that emit electromagnetic fields and radio frequencies in homes across the globe. The use of devices like a shielding blanket and a faraday canopy can help in protecting you and your loved one from being overexposed to electromagnetic fields and radio frequency radiation. Installation of these devices that shields you from EMF is the best way to counter side effects associated with exposure to pollution.
- Paint your wall with EMF-shielding paint – EMF-shielding capable paint is one of the best ways to reduce, if not totally eliminate, the amount of electromagnetic field and radio frequency radiation in a given space. This paint commonly comes in black and was made with materials that could easily absorb EMF found in any room.
Harm Coming from Cordless Phones
Technology helps man to be more efficient. However, you must also be mindful of which technology you are bringing into your life. The need for caution stems from the fact that prolonged use of technology can cause some negative side effects on your health.
Cordless phones are one of those technologies that you need to re-evaluate their purpose in your life. These devices are known to use radio frequency so you can conveniently do something else, in wherever part of the house without the need to stay beside the telephone.
Given that electromagnetic field, radiation was proven to cause some impact on the human body, there is a great need for you to be more cautious about using a cordless phone. However, there are also some ways to reduce the amount of EMF coming from this device. Painting your room with paint manufactured with chemicals capable of shielding you and your loved ones from EMF is one preventive way to do so.