Smartphones are everywhere. It has integrated well into man’ daily lives. It does not only serve as a way to keep connected with one another. The device also keeps us entertained and organized. However, radiation emitted by this device is perhaps your utmost concern when using this gadget.
Mobile phones were found to responsible for emitting electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation. Its various internal components and how it is connected to a cell tower 24/7 are some of the reason researchers pointed the item as one of the most common sources of EMF.
This article will focus on whether a mobile phone can still emit radiation even when not in use. Also, it will look into the dangers of using a mobile phone and ways to protect yourself from these threats.
Dangers Associated with Using a Mobile Phone
You might be familiar with all the benefits offered by a mobile phone. The advent of the smartphone did really improve lives. It made it easier to communicate to anyone regardless of time and place, it kept you entertained during down times, and it allows you to be updated on about anything.
However, this technological advancement also came with some disadvantages. Its ability to emit radiation is one of those most studied by researchers. Particularly, they are interested over the impact of man’s constant exposure to this kind of radiation.
The following are other types of disadvantages that comes with using a mobile phone:
- In human beings, several studies have looked into ways exposure to radiation like electromagnetic field and radio frequency are affecting the body. There is common agreement between researchers that there is yet a conclusive evidence on its real impact. However, there are some studies that disclosed its impact on your body’s bioindicators. They revealed that constant exposure to EMF may result to distortion of sleeping pattern, constant fatigue, anxiety, moodiness, nausea or vomiting, and heart palpitations.
- Animals were also found to be affected by constant exposure to EMF. One study found that marine animals were observed to have been significantly affected by EMF emitted by undersea cables. Another study from the Colorado State University Department of Veterinary Medicine found that dogs who were constantly subjected to EMF developed cancer cells that led to lymphoma.
How Cell Phones Work
Understanding the manner mobile phones work can clearly describe why it is a threat. It does not only harm your health, but also everyone and everything in your surroundings. Yes, even plants and animals are affected by the negative impact of EMF and other kinds of radiation.
Mobile phones are able to receive calls, text messages, and emails as it is connected to your provider’s cell tower. Calls are possible as your mobile phone converts your voice into electric signals it then sends out as radio waves through the use of an antenna. These waves are then received by your provider’s cell towers.
Next, it is thrown to the designated receiver and electric signals are then converted into sound. The manner how this process is accomplished is what emits radiation like EMF and radio frequency.
Radiation from a Mobile Phone
A smartphone is capable of emitting radiation in various ways. First, it is connected to a cell tower. It emits a higher percentage of radiation when in use. It is because it sends and receives more radio waves when it is in use. Second, it is connected to your home’s Wi-Fi.
Aside from EMF coming from your provider’s cell tower, your home Wi-Fi also adds up to the radiation emitted by your mobile device. A wireless Internet router also sends out radio frequency for your phone to be connected online all the time. It works in the same manner as a cell tower. A mobile phone or any kind of device is connected to it even when idle. This is the reason you can still receive emails, game notifications, and friend requests when you left your phone by the table.
Third, it has integrated Bluetooth capability that pairs your phone with your wireless headset. While many are opting to use this kind of accessory, there are disadvantages that comes with it.
Bluetooth emits low energy radiation and is another technology that makes use of radio waves for a gadget to function. You are able to listen to another party or listen to your music wirelessly due to the radio waves sent and receive by your device to your Bluetooth headset. Some researchers claim that the use of this accessory might increase the chances of you suffering from impacts on your brain.
Is a Mobile Phone Capable of Emitting Radiation Even When Not in Use?
Yes, it still does emit electromagnetic field radiation even when it is not in use. Mobile phones remain connected to your provider’s cell towers even when idle. It is the reason why you can continue to receive messages, emails, and calls even you just leave your phone at the table. Cellular towers operated by mobile telecommunications providers is one of the most common producers of EMF and other kinds of radiation.
However, idle mobile phones emit less EMF. The reduced amount of radiation coming from these devices steams from the fact that they are still connected to a cell tower or your home Wi-Fi. It, however, sends and receives a lower amount of radio waves in order to be connected.
Ways to Protect Yourself
Given that smartphones are part of everyone’s life, there is no escaping the negative effects it brings. However, there are some things you can do to reduce, if not totally prevent, absorption of these unwanted effects.
The following are some recommendations from EMF shielding experts:
- Install and use devices that shield your home from EMF and other kinds of radiation – these EMF shielding devices work by reducing, if not totally eliminating, the presence of electromagnetic field and radio frequency radiation at any kind of space. For frequent mobile phone users, it is advised that you use EMF shielding capable phone cases or pendants that can be attached to deflect radiations of any kind.
- Reduce the number of hours you spend on your device during the day – people nowadays are constantly hooked into their mobile devices. Many studies disclosed that man is spending more time in front of his smartphone compared to previous years. The number of hours you spend on your device increases the percentage of radiation you expose your body. Taking a time off for a day or if not possible, even a few hours away from your mobile phone can do wonders for your health.
- Avoid charging your phone at the bedside table at night – it is already established that your mobile phone’s connection to a cell tower or your home Wi-Fi causes it to emit a higher percentage of radiation. But, any kind of electronic device equipped with a rechargeable battery is capable of emitting more radiation. A gadget when connected to a wall socket to charge is capable of increase the percentage of electromagnetic field and radio frequency radiation it emits. Additionally, you are exposing yourself to a more radiation if your mobile phone uses wireless charging. This technology makes use of electromagnetic field to fill the juice of your device’s battery. It works by sending our EMF into the air so that your device can receive it and be recharged.
Mobile devices including your smartphone emits EMF even it you leave it at the table most of the day. An idle mobile phone remains connected to a cell tower or through Wi-Fi even unless you put it in airplane mode. Given that it is connected 24/7 wirelessly, there is still a chance for you to be exposed to radiation.
The best remedy is to install EMF shielding devices at home and use EMF shielding accessories for your mobile devices. EMF has been proven to impact your health. Taking action to reduce the amount you are exposed to lessens the chances of being affected by its unwanted effects.