We all spend several hours a day in front of the computer. Experts claim that there are many negative effects associated with this way of working. Many recommend various techniques for office workers to get rid of the many side-effects of being in front of your computer 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
Additionally, the growing use of smartphones adds to ways you are exposed to electromagnetic field (EMF) and other kinds of radiation today.
This article will discuss the possibility of absorbing EMF while in front of your computer monitor at work and even at home. Additionally, it will explore how EMF and other radiation emitted by a computer impacts your health and ways to prevent or reduce EMF emitted by your computer monitor.
EMF from Computer Monitors
Computer monitors are not created in the same way. They differ not only in sizes and colors. They also come with different internal parts. Each of these computer monitors offer something that other monitors cannot do.
The first kind and perhaps its first reiteration is the cathode-ray tube monitor. These monitors that dates back to the first time the world was introduced to a personal computer.
Experts continuous warned against the use of this kind of monitor for its serious impact on health. It was found that CRT monitors produce highly dangerous X-ray radiation.
Newer personal computer users, especially the young ones, are more familiar with Light Emitting Diode (LED) or Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) monitors. These computer displays were designed and manufactured to address health concerns identified with CRT monitors.
Kinds of Radiation Coming from a Monitor
The early days of personal computing saw humans jumping from cheering to advancement in technology to raising concerns over technology’s impact on health real fast.
However, you cannot dismiss their doubts over impact of using computers on their health. Their concern is still very much present in the 21st century. People are still cautious over how their use of electronic devices and gadgets could cost them their health.
It is, however, a good sign as people are more aware on how they can reduce the impact of using electronic devices and the EMF it emits to their bodies.
The following are some of the most common types of radiation emitted by a computer monitor:
The earlier versions of CRT monitors were a breakthrough in technology. It did not only make the technology more accessible for everyone, it allowed everyone to experience the wonders of having a personal computer. However, as previously stated, they do come with some downsides.
The most concerning of the all is how it emits x-ray radiation. These monitors used older technologies of cathode ray that produces x-ray radiation as a by-product. It stems from the fact that these computer monitors made use of extremely high voltage that results to x-ray radiation production.
Ultraviolet ray radiation
Computer monitors are also known to emit ultraviolet light radiation. Many experts claim that it is less harmful compared to x-ray radiation, but studies found that constant, long-term exposure to this element can significantly cause some alterations in your body and your surroundings. The ultraviolet radiation that comes from monitors is a by-product of the light used in these devices.
Most monitors used in the 21st century makes use of flourescent lamp. This lamp is responsible for illumination. The visible light you see on a computer monitor is produced when ultraviolet light hits a white phosphor. The leak of ultraviolet light is a by-product of the aforementioned process.
Impact of Exposure to EMF
Negative effects of electromagnetic field radiation come in different forms. Many studies have looked into its impact on women’s reproduction, development of cancer cells, and how it impacts your body’s biomarkers. The following are some of the other side-effects of constant exposure to radiation coming from a computer monitor:
- Electro stress – also known as electromagnetic stress, people who experiences electro stress mostly spend most of their day on a device that emits any kind of radiation. Hair dryers, microwave ovens, and mobile phones are some of the most common things that emit EMF. While they emit less harmful radiation, it was found that it could contribute to some changes to your body when exposed long-term.
- Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity– it is a condition where you experience some of the common symptoms associated with constant exposure to EMF even at a lower percentage of radiation. With the prevalence of computer use and the widespread coverage of technologies emitting different kinds of radiation, this is a challenging condition. People who experiences the severe form of this condition may be advised to keep distance from technologies that constantly produce even the lowest possible percentage of radiation.
Signs of EMF Impact on Your Body
Radiation coming from computer monitors are not as powerful as those coming from nuclear reactors and radioactive materials. However, this fact is not an excuse for you not to take extra precaution when working in front of a computer monitor.
Medical professionals claim that while less powerful radiation sources do not pose a significant danger to health, it could possibly do so when you are constantly exposed during long periods of hours. You might respond differently from constant exposure to EMF, but there are common symptoms present among those affected by its negative effects. People who spend most of their time in front of a computer and other devices that emit EMF were found to display the following symptoms:
- Troubles falling asleep;
- Concentration and memory issues;
- Heart palpitations; and
- Dry or swollen mucous membrane in the throat.
Ways to Reduce EMF Exposure
While the use of a computer is inevitable may it be at work or at home, there are some things you can do to prevent or reduce the amount of radiation you are exposed to. Several EMF shielding experts have lined up and recommended several products to get rid of electromagnetic field and other kinds of radiation. The following are some of the most recommended techniques to prevent exposure to high levels of EMF while working in front of a computer monitor:
- Use a computer monitor shield – computer shield is an accessory that is attached to your computer monitor to reduce the light coming from your device. It was originally used as a way to reduce eye strain when working most of the time in front of a computer. However, it was also found to be an effective accessory to prevent ultraviolet light emitted by computer monitors.
- Wear blue light-blocking eyeglasses – when you spend more time in front of a computer than anything else you do in a day, it is best to get glasses capable of blocking blue light. This kind of light is emitted by computer monitors and is known for causing digital eye strain. It is also discovered to contribute to increasing higher chances of developing macular degeneration. Glasses capable of blocking blue light is recommended because the eye is not capable of filtering blue light present in the environment. It is recommended to use eyeglasses capable of blocking 100% of blue-light and ultraviolet light.
Technology is something you cannot escape nowadays. Office work mostly involves being in front of a computer monitor most of the day. The stress on your eyes brought by spending all day looking on your monitor can affect not only your eye, but your overall health.
There are also different kinds of radiation emitted by a computer monitor. X-ray radiation and ultraviolet light radiation are among the most common among radiation emitted by these devices. There are many conditions that stems from overexposure to EMF. Electromagnetic hypersensitivity, alterations to bodily functions, and women’s reproductive ability are some of the most known effects of being exposed to radiation. Protecting yourself is the best you can do.
There are many ways to reduce the amount of radiation coming from a computer monitor or any kind of device that produces EMF. Finding the right protection enables you to stay away from developing some of these conditions.