A home is no longer limited to just human beings inhabiting it. In recent years, pets have integrated to be part of the family. You might be wondering whether the presence of electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation also affect your beloved fur babies just like you and your kids.
With wireless Internet, electric wiring, and electronics emitting EMF, they are also exposed 24/7 to this pollution. This article will focus on studies on the relationship between EMF and animals, the impact of EMF on your beloved pets, and how to reduce EMF at home.
This Article Contains
Electromagnetic Field (EMF): An Introduction
Smoke and unclean water are not the only ones significantly capable of affecting your health. There are other unseen elements capable of harming the body. Electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation is one of those elements. It is the product made by differences in voltage and the strength of flow made by an electric current.
There are natural and man-made EMF. The former includes those produced during thunderstorms and those that allows the compass to determine where is north or south. Man-made EMF includes X-rays machines, electric wirings, and high-frequency waves transmitted by television stations and cellular phone providers.
Scientists found that exposure to EMF can negatively impact human health. There are also continuing studies on the relationship between EMF exposure and development of cancer cells. Animals are also not spared by EMF. Veterinary medicine researchers are also looking into the many ways this radiation is contributing to significant changes to the biomarkers of animals.
Research on EMF
Several studies were made to discover how animals are affected by constant exposure to any kind of radiation. While there is yet concrete evidence to support significant unwanted effect of EMF on animals, there are some findings that points to EMF as the cause for some changes. According to the European Commission’s Directorate-Generale of Health and Food Safety, there are certain animals directly affected by the negative effects of EMF.
Migratory birds, sharks and other animals with electric sense organs, and those with a weak defense mechanism are mostly prone to unwanted effects of EMF. The agency revealed that EMF affects these animals’ biomarkers including the number of antioxidants in their blood, heat shocks, and DNA changes.
A study by John Reif of the Colorado State University Department of Veterinary Medicine found that there is direct relationship between exposure to EMF and development of lymphoma in dogs.
He disclosed that dogs’ constant exposure to high-powered electric lines near its home significantly contributed to the high-amount of EMF radiation in the area. He added that this high-amount EMF increases the likelihood of a dog to develop certain kind of cancers.
A 2013 study from V Hart and colleagues discovered that dogs defecate according to the earth’s magnetic field. They disclosed that based on dogs they observed, most are likely to defecate and urinate with their bodies aligned to the north-south axis.
Hence, their constant exposure to man-made radiation like EMF and radio frequency could impact their behavior. Several studies on animals and plants in recent years were very clear on emphasizing the possible impact of radiation coming from man-made devices on the surroundings.
A Center for Offshore Renewable Energy School of Energy, Environment, and Agrifood study supported this conclusion after it discovered that different marine animals were affected by high-grade radiation emitted by underwater cables.
The Impact of EMF on Pets
In humans, electromagnetic field radiation causes significant changes to biomarkers. Studies found that exposure to this harmful element contributed to reduced melatonin levels, a variation in heart rate, and a disruption in brain activity during a night sleep.
It was also found that EMF is behind premature birth and low birth weight among women who were constantly exposed to high-frequency electromagnetic field radiation during their pregnancy.
Animals too are affected by exposure to EMF radiation. Given that the world we live in now is going more and more wireless, there is a greater chance that even the most remote location in this planet is reached by man-made EMF.
Your pets are most likely to be subjected to man-made EMF. Your home’s Wi-Fi connection, your television set, and other appliances like your microwave oven emits electromagnetic field and other kinds of radiation. The most common side-effects of being exposed to EMF includes:
our pets are most likely to be subjected to man-made EMF. Your home’s Wi-Fi connection, your television set, and other appliances like your microwave oven emits electromagnetic field and other kinds of radiation. The most common side-effects of being exposed to EMF includes:
- Fertility issues;
- Digestive issues;
- Heart arrhythmia;
- Sleep issues; and
- Mood swings.
What You Can Do?
Your beloved pets also suffer the same consequences of being constantly exposed to electromagnetic field radiation. Studies on the impact of EMF on the human body pointed that it is a contributing factor for the development of cancer cells. It was also found to impact birth weight and premature delivery among pregnant women. T
he most basic and perhaps biggest impact of EMF was found on man’s biomarkers. Researchers found that It is capable of affecting heart rate, sleeping pattern, and brain activity. Given its impact on man, it is very possible that your pets are also prone to the same impact brought by EMF.
Good thing there are various of ways to protect your beloved animals from the unwanted effects of electromagnetic field radiation. Here are some recommendations from experts in the field of EMF shielding:
- Reduce the number of hours your Wi-Fi is turned on – wireless internet might be one of the most common sources of EMF nowadays. Every home has one and its signal covers most of your home’s corners. Given what you know now about the impact of EMF, it is recommended that you use less Wi-Fi and instead have your laptop hard wired to your modem while working.
- Reduce the use or get rid of appliances that emits high doses of electromagnetic field radiation – Microwaves, television, and radio are appliances that produces much of EMF found in your home. While it might be impossible for some households to get rid of these appliances, it is recommended to reduce its hours of use. Reduced frequency of using these appliances can help in lowering the level of EMF and radio frequency radiation in your home.
- Never let you or your pets be beside your mobile phone at all times – mobile phones receive signal from your provider’s cell towers. Numerous studies found that cell towers are one of the most common producers of EMF. It is best if you and your pet are not constantly beside or in front of your smartphone while sleeping or just lounging at home.
- Opt to use wired connections instead of wireless ones like Bluetooth – a wireless lifestyle is more convenient. However, there are consequences to this. The use of wireless technologies can increase the likelihood of EMF presence in your home. There are still questions between bluetooth radiation and possibly not being safe. It is recommended that you use an airtube earbud or headset. These headsets use hollow air tubes to create less EMF. Additionally, materials used are equipped to make sure that less EMF is created.
- Use incandescent light bulbs – compact fluorescent light might save give you lower electricity bills, but it can actually cause more electromagnetic field radiation at home. CFL is able to lower your electricity bill by chopping up sine waves, creating spikes, and surging electricity. However, this process is known for producing dirty electricity. It is this process that makes CFL bulbs use high frequency AC electricity.
Protect Your Pets, Protect Yourself
EMF is inescapable in the 21st century. Technological advancement is going towards a more wireless future. Given the trend, there is a greater possibility that EMF will be more widespread in the coming years. This heavier dependence on wireless technologies can cause significant alterations to you and your pets’ health.
However, you can protect yourself and your beloved animal friends by ensuring there EMF is not widely present at home. There are various ways to protect the home including reducing the use of wireless technologies. Adopting this lifestyle can ensure that you’ll not be suffering from consequences brought by electromagnetic field (EMF) and other kinds of man-made radiation.